Cantilever Storage Racks, Shelves & Arms.
Cantilever arms are the most important component of a cantilever racks because they actually support the products themselves. A cantilever storage rack arm can either be straight, offering quick access to non-sensitive components, or it can angle upward to prevent more fragile items from falling to the floor.
There are several guidelines to follow when choosing cantilever racks & arms that will ensure the safety of your products and employees.
1. The first rule to adhere to is to make sure that the divided weight of stored materials never exceeds the weight capacity of an individual arm. For instance, 36,600 lbs. of weight divided between 12 cantilever arms will require using arms with 3,050 lbs. capacity.
2. A second rule you must never forget to follow is to divide the total weight of your stored materials by the number of vertical uprights in the system. In our example above, each vertical upright would support 12,200 lbs. of weight—the factor of 36,600 divided by 3.
3. Never allow the weight on a single cantilever rack arm to exceed the weight capacity of a vertical upright. To do so would put stress on the entire system.
4. Next, you must ensure that the depth of the load never exceeds the length of the cantilever storage arm. If it does, the cantilever arms are pulled forward by the pressure and the system becomes unstable.
5. Finally, check to make certain that stored products overhang the cantilever rack arms according to the correct proportions. The number of arms should be multiplied by the total product length to determine this figure. For instance, if you are using a 20 foot run with 4 arms, the total overhang should be ¼ X 20 feet, or 5 feet. This means that approximately 2” of the product should overhang on either side.
Understanding these basic principles will enable you to determine not only the number and weight capacities of the cantilever rack arms you will need, but also the strength and number of the vertical uprights and brace sets.
Double Sided Horizontal Bar Cantilever Racks
Smaller storage requirements, such as the ones commonly found in maintenance rooms, shops, and tool rooms, may only a smaller cantilever system like the Double Sided Horizontal Bar rack. It features 9 arms that extend upward at an angle and act as dividers creating bays of storage.
The total rack capacity is 2,600 pounds evenly distributed load on both sides. More weight capacity can be achieved by placing two identical units side by side. This is very useful for storing smaller pipes and tubing supplies.
Medium Duty Cantilever Racks
Medium duty cantilever racks can either brace sets, single sided uprights, or double sided uprights. These units are typically built custom to client product type and storage needs. Cantilever arms and uprights are sold separately for this reason, allowing basic parts to be assembled with a broad range of customization to a wide range of material storage requirements.
Cantilever arms on medium duty cantilever racks can be adjusted up and down the full length of the upright and secured in pre-drilled holes with a key lock. All arms feature lips to prevent product from falling off. Uprights are sold separately, not in pairs, to anticipate exceptionally heavy load requirements such as the ones mentioned at the beginning. Custom rack systems can be designed for your special application. Medium-Duty Cantilever Racks are ideal for both manual loading and easy forklift accessibility.
Heavy-Duty Cantilever Racks
Heavy-Duty Cantilever Racks feature completely arms that are engineered to eliminate the storage problem of long, unwieldy stock like lumber, furniture & pipe. Cantilever racks are designed specifically for fork truck access and can be positioned in pre-drilled holes throughout the length of the upright.
Each cantilever rack arm also has a lip that prevents roll offs and dropped products. Arms and cantilever uprights for the heavy duty system are sold individually, not in pairs.
Because cantilever racks require precise calculations to be properly designed, it can often save significant time to call and Easy Rack specialist and let him or her work out the math to save you a step. This also enables your representative to custom build your cantilever system literally from the ground up, with brace sets, uprights, and arms combined in just the right proportion for your facility’s needs.
Easy Rack carries a wide variety of commercial shelving, material handling equipment, commercial lighting, used pallet racks, and modular prefab buildings installed nationwide. If you cannot find what you are looking for call us toll free at 1-888-776-3720 and we will find it for you. Our home office is located in Houston, Texas with warehouses located throughout the United States that enable us to service all 50 states. For more information email us [email protected]